Assistant Vice President Customs Services
Corporate Compliance Manager
Seattle, WA, 2006 – 2014
Managed trade compliance to reduce regulatory risk for international freight forwarder and customs brokerage with 30 branch operation; licensed qualifier for corporate customs broker’s license.
- Classified clients’ goods according to HTSUS, Schedule B, ECCN, ITAR
- Determined Commerce, State, and Treasury Department licensing requirements
- Managed Lynden’s C-TPAT program
- Audited using Customs’ ACE, Census’ AES, and Lynden’s system extracts
- Mitigated penalties to 3% of original amount; implemented corrective measures
- No significant penalties on my watch
- Provide assistance, guidance and training to import and export staff
- Develop computer-based training for Lynden’s Learning Management System
- Created Microsoft Access database of client Powers of Attorney for multiple users
- Consult with internal and external customers on regulatory matters
- Collaborate with Sales to construct compliant, profitable client relationships
Jim is a very detailed and is extremely knowledgeable in export and import brokerage polices. Over the last 8 years working for Lynden was instrumental for us in our export and import compliance. He is a very reliable person, tenacious in follow-up and very helpful to anyone who needs assistance in international. He is a very personable person as well.
– Laura Sanders, Vice President, Operations
Jim is very detailed person. When I worked for the Govt/Federal, he would call and ask a questions. He had already done his homework… 99% of the time, he was correct and just wanted me to verify. He really CARES.
– Joe Tosto, Bureau of Industry and Security, U.S. Department of Commerce
I would seek his counsel on any issue with import or export issues.
He is exceptional!
– Alesa de Hernandez, International Supervisor
- Goes the extra mile to ensure that operational flow is as seamless as possible, while meeting requirements
- Works the training aspect to ensure that compliance happens through all steps of the process
- Develops innovative training tools that teaches everyone not only what they need to know, but also when and how to apply it
- Carries more carrots than sticks – in other words he motivates vs. berates staff to stay in compliance
- Does not waste time with unnecessary processes that are more for show than actually ensures accuracy
- Is extremely helpful in solving each client’s unique challenge, vs just espousing the rules, in other words; he knows his stuff!
He’s the only compliance manager that I know of that can do it all with humor and make people feel better about being slowed down by the myriad of regulations companies are inundated with.
– Michael Baekboel, District Manager
Jim came into Lynden to oversee regulatory compliance. He had his plate full day one as compliance processes had only recently been started. Jim took the bull by the horns and drove the operations group in process implementation while being an excellent consultant to our clients and our agent/partners. Jim’s knowledge is extraordinary and his methods are more in line with coaching and mentoring the less knowledgeable while hammering overall compliance requirements.– Mark Rowe, Director, International Operations